The 2015 Te Awanga Estate Trademark Syrah took the top Trophy award at the International Wine Challenge (IWC).
Chosen from Gold medal-winning wines that underwent further rigorous blind tasting by a panel of international wine experts, the Trophy winners are the best of the best from the world’s most influential wine competition.
For the 4th year in a row, New Zealand was awarded the International Syrah Trophy with the best Syrah being named as Te Awanga Estate’s Trademark Syrah 2015, which won the Hawke's Bay Syrah Trophy and International Syrah Trophy. As well as an internationally unrivalled Syrah, the Te Awanga Estate wine was also awarded the New Zealand Red Trophy.
IWC co-chair Peter McCombie MW said: “There isn’t much Syrah planted in New Zealand but what there is makes world-class wine. Stylistically closer to Rhone Valley than Barossa Valley, we expect New Zealand Syrah to have abundant fruit and remarkable freshness. Te Awanga, winner of the New Zealand Red Trophy, is a brilliant example of this style.”
- Trophy for Champion International Syrah – International Wine Challenge 2019
- Trophy for Champion New Zealand Red – International Wine Challenge 2019
- Trophy for Champion New Zealand Syrah – International Wine Challenge 2019
- Trophy for Champion Hawke’s Bay Syrah – International Wine Challenge 2019
- Gold Medal – International Wine Challenge 2019